Saturday, December 23, 2023

Blueberry scones

Combine in a bowl:

2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup white sugar
2.5 tsp baking powder 
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt

Grate 1/2 cup or 113g frozen unsalted butter into the above and stir together. Store this mix in the freezer for 15 minutes or longer.

Combine in another bowl:

1/2 cup heavy cream
1 large egg
1.5 tsp vanilla extract

Drizzle wet mix over the dry ingredients, add 1 cup frozen blueberries, and mix together until moist. Do not overwork.

On the counter, make an 8-inch disk and cut into 8 wedges. Brush with heavy cream and sprinkle with coarse sugar (optional). Refrigerate for 15 minutes or more.

Transfer to baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake at 400F for 22-25 minutes.

References

Sally's Baking Addiction

Use real cinnamon, not cassia 


Fake backstory

One sunny Saturday morning, I woke up with the delightful idea of making blueberry scones with my young child, Emily. The aroma of freshly brewed coffee filled the air as I gathered the ingredients for our special baking adventure.

With aprons tied snugly around us, I invited Emily to stand on a sturdy chair beside me. Her eyes sparkled with excitement as I explained the magic of baking. The kitchen quickly transformed into a haven of flour and laughter, and I could feel the warmth of the moment enveloping us.

"Okay, Emily," I said, handing her a measuring cup, "let's start with two cups of all-purpose flour. Can you pour it into the mixing bowl?" Her tiny hands carefully maneuvered the cup, creating a cloud of white dust around her. Giggles erupted as we both tried to avoid the floury mess.

Next came the sugar, baking powder, and a pinch of salt. Emily was a keen helper, her enthusiasm infectious. As I cracked an egg into the heavy cream, she watched in awe, her eyes widening at the gooey contents. Together, we mixed the ingredients, creating a sticky dough.

"Now, the most exciting part," I announced, unveiling a bowl of plump blueberries. Emily scowled and knocked the bowl aside, scattering blueberries everywhere, including the floor. Those would be a complete write-off due to the accumulation of cat hair everywhere. Plus, everyone knows what cats do with their paws.

"What the he-", I exclaimed, catching myself in time. "It's the middle of winter, and those came all the way from Peru. You know how much they cost?"

"Get that go shi out of my sight," Emily scowled. Sensing my anger, she changed her tone and gently touched me on the cheek with her greasy fingers. Great, now I'll have a pimple there. She explained, "you know how we grated frozen butter into the dry mix and then put the whole thing in the freezer? Remember? Why do you think we did that? It was to make little pea-sized lumps of butter in the mix, right? We don't want the butter to melt, right? Use frozen blueberries! You want to keep the dough cold!"

Ok, fine, the kid had a good point. Inwardly, I was plotting my revenge. Maybe the floor blueberries would get served in a parfait. Her college fund still needed topping up. Or not.

Once the dough was ready, I floured the surface and patted it into a circle. Emily's small hands imprinted on the dough as she helped shape the scones. As I cut the dough into wedges, Emily cheered at the triangular shapes.

The scones were placed on a baking sheet, and I explained how they would rise and turn golden brown in the oven. While they baked, Emily and I cleaned up the floury battlefield, sharing stories and wiping away giggles.

As the timer beeped, signaling the scones were ready, a golden aroma filled the kitchen. Emily's eyes widened with anticipation. I pulled the tray from the oven, and together we admired the beautiful golden-brown scones, each one a little piece of our morning adventure.

Once cooled, we sat at the kitchen table, a plate of warm blueberry scones between us. The first bite was a burst of sweetness, and we exchanged smiles, knowing that this simple morning had created a treasure trove of memories. The kitchen may have been a bit messier, but our hearts were fuller, and the bond between us stronger than ever. And so, in the warmth of the kitchen, our Saturday morning story of blueberry scones became a cherished chapter in the book of our lives.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment