Saturday, December 23, 2023

Baked potatoes

  • 4 to 6 Russet potatoes
  • Olive oil
  • Sea salt / kosher salt
  • Toppings: yogurt / sour cream, bacon, chives / green onions, salsa roja, cheese, etc

Preheat oven 425F.

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

Wash potatoes, dry, and poke with fork.

Coat potatoes with olive oil, sprinkle liberally with kosher / sea salt.

Bake at 425 for 40-60 minutes until 202F / 94C inside. Convection optional.

Meanwhile, prepare the toppings, e.g. bacon.

Slice open, fluff the insides, and add toppings.

References

https://www.loveandlemons.com/baked-potato/

https://blog.thermoworks.com/thermometer/the-dirt-on-potatoes/


Fake backstory

It was an ordinary evening when I stumbled upon a peculiar antique shop tucked away in a quiet corner of the city. Intrigued by the dusty books and peculiar artifacts, my eyes fell upon an old-looking oven with a brass plaque that read, "Potato Portal: Your Gateway to Culinary Time Travel."

The shop owner, a wizened man with a twinkle in his eye, noticed my interest and shared the tale of the magical baked potato oven. Legend had it that each perfectly baked potato could transport the eater to a different time and place.

Eager to test this extraordinary claim, I purchased the oven and a bag of russet potatoes. That evening, armed with a sense of adventure and a craving for the unknown, I prepared the potatoes with a mix of skepticism and excitement.

As the potatoes baked, the air in my kitchen seemed to shimmer. A soft glow emanated from the oven, and I couldn't help but wonder if I was about to embark on an unprecedented journey through time.

With a cautious fork, I pierced the crispy skin of one of the baked potatoes. As the steam rose, a sudden rush of warmth enveloped me, and the world around me blurred. When my vision cleared, I found myself in a bustling Victorian-era market, surrounded by horse-drawn carriages and people in corsets and top hats.

Stunned by the unexpected time travel, I roamed the cobbled streets, marveling at the sights and sounds of a bygone era. The aroma of roasted chestnuts and the clip-clop of horses' hooves filled the air. I couldn't believe that a humble baked potato had become a vessel through time.

After exploring the Victorian age, I returned to my kitchen, eager to share my extraordinary experience. I couldn't resist testing the Potato Portal once again, this time transporting myself to the Roaring Twenties. Flapper dresses, jazz music, and the vibrant energy of the era surrounded me as I enjoyed my second time-traveling adventure.

Word of my magical baked potatoes spread, and soon friends and neighbors gathered in my kitchen to experience the Potato Portal for themselves. Each potato became a ticket to a different time and place, creating a whimsical culinary time-travel club.

The once-ordinary oven had become a cherished artifact, and as we laughed and shared stories from different eras, it became clear that the magic of baked potatoes had not only transcended time but also brought people together in a delightful and unexpected way. The Potato Portal became a symbol of the extraordinary adventures that could unfold when a simple meal was seasoned with a dash of imagination.

No comments:

Post a Comment