Received a refurbished Netgear WNDR3700 from TigerDirect today. The unit turned out to be a version 1, which was a bit of a bummer because v2 has a larger flash ROM. But no biggy, 8MB should still be big enough for DDWRT.
So I proceeded to install DDWRT, but things did not go smoothly. This step was problematic:
1a. Download DD-WRT for the WNDR3700 v1 from here depending on the region you purchased your router from: North America (NA): ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2011/06-14-11-r17201/netgear-wndr3700/wndr3700-factory_NA.imgThat image left the router in a "boot loop". The only way to recover from that was the 45-second reset and then reinstall a factory image using tftp over a wire connection. Fortunately my old router was still working, so it was not difficult to download the factory image from Netgear.
I next installed OpenWRT, which went on smoothly. I was dismayed to discover that wireless was not installed by default, and that I would have to download packages and read documentation (I know, gasp) in order to figure it out. I wasn't in the mood for that, I just wanted plug and play, so I decided to try DDWRT again.
This time I followed the alternate instructions, which were to install the older 16785 revision and then upgrade to 17201 using the "webflash.bin" file. Fortunately this worked.
I had to install 16785 twice in order to get 17201 on it because after my initial success, I started to play around with some options. Somehow this left the 3700 in a completely useless state, so I had to start over again from the 45-second paperclip trick. The second time was a charm. The steps I followed were:
- Reset the router using the 45-second paper clip trick. The power LED should blink green
- Connect an ethernet cable to the router, configure the interface as static 192.168.1.3/24, and "tftp -i 192.168.1.1 PUT wndr3700_factory_NA.img" (the 16785 revision).
- Wait for the router to reboot, do the 30/30/30 trick to reset DDWRT to default configuration.
- Browse over to 192.168.1.1, and upgrade to 17201 using the webflash.bin file.
- Reboot, 30/30/30.
- Configure DDWRT so the router to act only as an access point