Wednesday, May 25, 2011

My vimrc for Windows

I need gvim in Windows to support accented characters for my Latin homework. Adding
:set encoding=utf-8
to _vimrc helps with input. Now I can press
ctrl-k a -
to get lower-case 'a' with a macron. The next trick is to add
:set guifont=DejaVu_Sans_Mono:h10:cANSI
so another font is used. This actually displays the lower-case 'a' with a macron instead of a black rectangle. To see what fonts are available and to help in constructing the guifont arguments, type into vim
:set guifont=*
A font selection dialog will pop up. Choose a combination that works for you, then type
:set guifont
to see what needs to be put into _vimrc. By the way, I put _vimrc in C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator, which I figured out by typing
:echo $HOME
into vim.

No comments:

Post a Comment